VFP's BASICS (Part 2)

Version: 1.00.00 - Last Update: Sunday, August 31, 2014

Basics (Part 1)Basics HomeBasics (Part 3)


This thread is all about OOP BASICS

OOP Basics with VFP

Finally I found a link to a free version of my all time favorite OOP-book:

Object-Oriented
Software
Construction

SECOND EDITION

by Bertrand Meyer

The 1370 pages are a must read if you want to fully understand some of my own approaches. This definite book has deeply influenced my basic understanding of what good OOP is all about, and changed many of my personal approaches implementing object oriented software with Visual FoxPro!

 

image

With such a lecture at hand for free, there is no reason for me to talk about general OOP things any longer! Go and dig them out yourself :-)

After having read some chapters…

… you may get a "feeling" like I did:

Step by step, chapter after chapter I read, I realized that almost all OOP languages, especially the latest .NET incarnations, should have been better invented by some Eiffel programmers!

The many ways Microsoft developers try to mend all those "holes" in their language designs, especially those stemming from a missing Design-by-Contract implementation at compiler level, seem ridiculous; especially, after having read Professor Meyer's brilliant statements about "the real way" of implementing that language feature.

Since my first reading (of the first edition) I tried to implement, at least a subset of, the superb features design-by-contract delivers to the developer, most of the attempts to no avail.

Finally, I had enough good reasons to stop haunting for an Eiffel-like implementation in VFP: too slow, to complex, to time-consuming, just to name a few. And then I started to write slow, complex and time-consuming Unit-Test instead…
…d
reaming about the ability not only to be able to type-check, but also to be able to content-check my class features at runtime natively, nuking all these nasty Unit-Test scripts to dust!

Sounds familiar to you? I bet!

Keep rolling…

BTW: Isn't it a wonderful color scheme that is used throughout the entire book? ;-)


Basics (Part 1)Basics HomeBasics (Part 3)

1 comment: